You know, there ought to be a knitter’s version of the song “100 Bottles of Beer on a Wall”. It would be useful to sing while working a project as large as the Princess.
With this being the Victoria Day long weekend and the weather being miserable, I put my nose to the needles and today I completed row 31 of the border. Here it is, roughly pinned out.
I thought this was fairly significant, being as there are 62 rows on the first of the 3 pattern pages for the border. I was feeling quite smug…until I looked at the picture of the shawl and realized just how much more there is to do in the border. Then I hooted with laughter at myself.
One thing that I’ve noticed and am feeling nervous about is that my gauge on the edging was looser than what I’m getting for the border. I think this is because the edging is much more open. The border, in comparison, has larger patches of plain garter stitch, and because there are proportionately fewer overs than in the edging, the gauge is coming in tighter. More thorough sampling on my part would have revealed that, I think. Oi: chalk it up to learning for the future. I hope that blocking the finished shawl into its curved shape will compensate for this difference, because, as I figure it, the only other thing to do is start all over. And if that's the case, I'll need to shelve the project for a couple of months before I'd be psychologically ready to do that.
The reason I’m pushing at working some rows now is that when I’m on vacation in June I won’t be taking the Princess with me – unless folks want to see it. (Even then I won’t work on it.) Between now and my departure, I’ll aim to work 1 or 2 rows daily.
It’s really been very enjoyable working this. As the motifs have developed on the fabric, it’s great to feel like progress is being made. It’s also been interesting to look at how some of the motifs have been built from simpler units. Useful learning for future projects.
That’s it for now: hope you’re knitting away on your Princess.